This week on our Friends on Friday guest blog post, my colleague Ricky Nowak shares an experience about how customer…
Customer Service Expert
Shep Hyken, CSP, CPAE is the Chief Amazement Officer at Shepard Presentations, customer service expert, keynote speaker and New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestselling business author. Shep works with companies who want to build loyal relationships with their customers and employees. He has been inducted into the National Speakers Association Hall of Fame for lifetime achievement in the professional speaking industry.
Shep’s philosophy as a keynote speaker is that it is all about you – your meeting, your people and your success. His style is energetic, motivational and entertaining. The content is relevant and useful, and the audience will leave with tools, ideas and concepts they can put to use immediately. Shep promises to deliver one of the most exciting, motivating and memorable programs you will ever experience!
Learn about Shep’s latest book, Amaze Every Customer Every Time!
by Shep Hyken, CSP, CPAE
Receive a free, weekly newsletter from Shep. The letter includes articles, business tips and more from Shep's experiences as a customer service speaker.
Seven Customer Service Strategies to Create an Amazing Customer and Employee Experience
Coming in April 2011!Learn More »
"In the years that I have worked numerous shows for Anheuser-Busch, I have never had such favorable, positve feedback from our customers as I have received about you."
Shep Hyken, customer service speaker, is inducted to the National Speakers Association Hall of Fame.
Download the FREE Shep Hyken App and get Shep's latest articles, business tips, videos and more.
Ten Compelling Reasons to Deliver an Amazing Customer Service Experience
I love lists, especially when it comes to learning. The list below was the result of a quick brainstorming session about the advantages of delivering a great customer service experience. I came up with many more, but wanted to create the “Top Ten List” for you.
- Amazing customer service builds credibility, trust and confidence, which can lead to customer loyalty.
- Amazing customer service can help the marketing and sales budget. It costs less to keep existing customers than it does to create new ones.
- Delivering amazing customer service creates a buzz, word-of-mouth marketing and referrals, again helping the marketing budget.
- Delivering amazing customer service can lead to existing customers buying more.
- Customer service saves money. When you do it right the first time, you don’t have to fix it the next time.
- Customer service can give your company an advantage over competitors.
- Amazing customer service can make price less relevant.
- Customer service focused companies are usually employee focused companies, thereby creating a better place to work. That means lower turnover, which could mean savings in hiring, training and more.
- Customer service superstar companies are usually more profitable than the ones that aren’t.
- Customer service helps get and keep customers… because without customers, you don’t have a business.
After compiling this list, I sent it to the subscribers of my newsletter (The Shepard Letter). I asked them to come up with more reasons to deliver an amazing customer experience. So here are…
Ten MORE Reasons to Deliver an Amazing Customer Service Experience
- Do it because it is the right thing to do! We like our clients and do this because we want to help them, not just because we want to make a profit. If we give good customer service, the profit will take care of itself. -- Fran Curotto of Kreismann-Bayer Insurance Agency
- Amazing Customer Service requires a helpful attitude which spills over to co-workers, making the work environment a positive, friendly one. -- Rhoda Snader of QCCI
- Amazing customer service provides an excellent way to focus on what your customers believe your unique sales position is. -- Kevin Baum
- Amazing customer service allows a better communication with your customers to get feedback and improve products and services, therefore protecting future growth. -- Kevin Baum (He submitted two!)
- A dissatisfied customer, who feels that you made things right, will be one of the most powerful customer evangelists you could have. They will be telling their friends, family, and associates of how you fixed their problem when they were expecting the worst possible outcome. In contrast, a dissatisfied customer will spend at least as much effort to discredit your company. -- Perry Jarlsberg, Superior Services Solutions, Inc.
- Amazing customer service means taking ownership of a service issue and seeing the issue through to resolution. This creates a continuity of service for the client that builds confidence, corporate knowledge and responsibility for the client service representative. -- Steve Silver, Royal Banks of Missouri
- Great customer service leads to profitable teaming arrangements. For example, business partners want to be on your team when pursuing a project or new customer. -- Ted Guhr, Tarlton Corporation
- Great customer service creates an environment for employees to be proud of their work, thereby resulting in employee retention. -- Ted Guhr, Tarlton Corporation (Ted also submitted two!)
- Customer service is important for our internal customers (coworkers) as well as our external customers. -- Donna M. Willett, Illinois Mutual Life Insurance Company
- Amazing Customer Service allows sales people to have a greater advantage of selling against the competition. -- Dale Montross
Customer Service Facts, Statistics and More
Top Customer Service Companies for 2014 According to 24/7 Wall St.:
- Amazon.com – Online retail
- Hilton Worldwide – Hospitality
- Marriott International – Hospitality
- Chick-fil-a – Restaurant
- American Express – Financial Services
- Trader Joe's – Grocery Stores
- Sony – Consumer Electronics
- UPS – Shipping
- Hewlett-Packard – Personal Computers
- Apple – Technology
Top Customer Service Online Retailers for 2013 According to Stella Service
- L.L. Bean
- Sierra Trading Post
- Ralph Lauren
- Tory Burch
- Brooks Brothers
- Sacks Fith Avenue
Interesting Customer Service Facts
Retailers and hotels provide the best average customer experience in North America overall as an industry.
Source: Forrester Customer Experience Index 2010
90% of North American firms view customer experience as important or critical to 2010 plans. 80% of the firms would like to use customer experience as a form of differentiation.
Source: Forrester’s The State Of Customer Experience, 2010
86% of consumers quit doing business with a company because of a bad customer experience, up from 59% 4 years ago
Source: Harris Interactive, Customer Experience Impact Report
Recent Customer Service Blog Posts
TOP CUSTOMER SERVICE AND BUSINESS ARTICLES
Each week I read a number of customer service articles from various online resources….
This week on our Friends on Friday guest blog post, my colleague Donna Hanson writes about her recent visit to…